November 22, 2012

Happy Turkey Day

This is the 15th Thanksgiving dinner we've hosted at our house. In a row. Let's just say I have the prep and set up down to a science. It took me years to figure it out. A bit of work each day for a week and when the big day arrives, I get to to enjoy it too. Mostly.

I woke up at the crack of dawn to put the bird in. The house is so quiet, it's still dark outside. I was thinking that in a few hours, it will be utter chaos in here. Good, funny, happy loud family chaos. 26 guests this year - some friends, some family, a bunch of kids, one new baby and a great-grandmother.
I predict that there will be at least one argument about politics (maybe two), 3 broken dishes, 2 report cards that are bragged about, one Band-Aid dispensed, a tray of uneaten lasagna left (yes lasagna, don't even ask), four screaming matches about the football game, 10 photos taken (yup, just 10), many games of dominoes, one dessert that never gets served, a dozen spats amongst the little ones, 6 loaves of Italian bread too many and countless family stories about Thanksgiving past retold.

Not perfect, like you see on television. But perfect for this crazy clan I call family. I'm blessed to have them all.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment